Kick start your garden today! It may be cold outside but spring is just around the corner. This is the perfect time to start planning for your summer garden. Save money and have some fun by getting an early start on the growing season with these 5 simple steps:
1. Make a plan. Deciding what plants you want to grow can be one of the most exciting parts of gardening! Spinach, broccoli, eggplant, peppers, melons, and squash – what’s it going to be this year? When you get an early start by starting seeds indoors, you’ll save money and time – and you’ll even have plenty of extra plants to share with friends and neighbors. Healthy, great-tasting, homegrown vegetables and fruits begin with high quality organic seeds. At Fresh Start Growers’ Supply, we sell a huge variety of the best organic seeds for your garden.
2. Get ready to plant. Say goodbye to plastic containers that end up in a landfill. Our reusable planting trays and Jiffy peat pots make growing plants easy. Made from wood pulp and Canadian sphagnum peat moss, these handy planting pots are completely bio-degradable. Get your seedlings into your garden without the risk of damaging roots by transplanting. Simple and affordable, Jiffy peat pots are a must have for your home garden.
3. Choose the right soil. As any gardener knows, good soil can make all the difference. Frey Brothers makes a great organic plant starter mix for indoor and outdoor planting. Made from a rich combination of Canadian sphagnum peat moss, perlite, aged pine fines, vermiculite, and other proprietary ingredients, this nutritious soil will give your plants just the right foundation to grow healthy and strong.
4. Protect your plants. When you’re ready to get your plants into the ground early and protect them from freezing weather, a frost blanket is the perfect option. Our Dewitt frost blankets work great for your plants, shrubs, flowers, and trees. Made with durable lightweight fabric, a DeWitt frost blanket creates the protective environment for young plant growth growth. For even more protection, you can enjoy all the benefits of a greenhouse without having to build one! A portable pop-up greenhouse offers the best solution. With this easy-to-use kit, you’ll have your very own greenhouse set up in a matter of minutes. Enjoy a longer growing season from the comfort of your deck or yard by planting in your portable pop-up.
5. Keep your plants healthy. If you want your plants to grow and thrive, you need to feed them right. Fertrell plant food is carefully formulated to provide your plants with the essential nutrients they need over the course of the entire growing period. Fertrell’s 3-4-3 liquid spray is made with just the right combination of kelp, fish emulsion, and humates for strong, hearty plants. It’s also easy to apply, with absorption rates through the leaves estimated at 90 percent or higher.